Insects at the pond

On Sunday morning I woke up early. The light was amazing so I decided to take the chance to have a morning walk around my local pond. There weren't loads of birds about - the Reed Warbler I had heard on Friday was still blasting out it's rather repetitive song from its hidden spot in the reed bed, but other than that is was annoyingly quiet. However, there were lots of Black-headed Gulls about, and I decided I would try to get a backlit shot of one in flight. After about an hour of attempting this, I hadn't got anything particularly amazing, so I decided to head to the top of the pond.

Black-headed Gull
At the top of the pond, there is a small area where wild plants grow. It is often full of insects, which the Chiffchaffs harvest to feed the hungry mouths in their dome-like nests. As I wandered around I saw lots of Ringlets, which are beautiful brown butterflies which emerge around June and are found until about August. I took lots of photos of these but none really had the "wow" factor.

Ringlet
Another butterfly I saw was a Small Skipper. There was at least one amongst the Ringlets, however it was quite tricky to spot as it flew very fast. However, when it was resting, I managed to get some photos of it.

Small Skipper
As well as this I also managed to spot a Silver Y moth. But my favourite of the Insects I found was a Common Blue butterfly, which was not only absolutely stunning but also incredibly photogenic. I managed to get some shots I'm very pleased with from this butterfly; however, again, I would have probably done better if I had a macro lens.

Common Blue
Common Blue - my favourite photo from the morning
Common Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
As I left the pond to go home for breakfast, I noticed a couple of bees feeding on a patch of thistles. They were backlit and looked wonderful, and they gave me my final good photo of the morning.

Bumblebee
I would recommend spending some time watching your local insects!

Thanks for reading,

Louis.

Comments

  1. Big fan of the common blue photo :)
    Quality: 10/10 would butterfly again

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts